This week the Preston Leader is running a feature on home security and have provided a home safety audit checklist to help people make sure their homes and property are protected from burglary.
Here are the areas that a qualified locksmith and security specialist can help you with:
- Can gates be secured?
- Is the letterbox fitted with an appropriate lock?
- Is the garden shed locked?
Your locksmith can tell you which are the best and what size you need to secure gates, letterboxes or shed doors.
- Are quality door locks fitted and in good working order?
- Are sliding doors fitted with suitable locks?
- Are window locks fitted?
- Are windows able to be locked in a partially open position?
- Is a security/screen door installed?
Not all locks are equal in quality. A locksmith can advise you on the best types of locks to use for external doors, internal doors, sliding doors and windows. A locksmith will also ensure they are installed correctly. Your locksmith can also advise you about the most appropriate security doors for your home and install them correctly.
- Is an intruder alarm installed?
- Does the intruder alarm cover the garage?
- Is the intruder alarm working properly and tested regularly?
There are many different home alarm systems on the market. There are also wireless systems that can be easily installed and moved if you are a tenant and want to secure your home. CCTV may also be worth considering with many now able to link to smartphones. An experienced locksmith will know the best type to meet your home security needs.
- Do you have a safe installed?
Safes are an excellent way to protect your most valuable items including important documents such as passports, birth certificates and other forms of ID. Again, there is a wide range of safes on the market and your locksmith can give you advice is which is best for you.
When selecting a locksmith make sure they are registered with the Master Locksmiths Association.